We head for our favorite chair with snacks in hand, our loyal furry friend following at our heels knowing that something good is coming their way. But many of the snacks we give them can be toxic to them. Most people are not aware of these foods.
CHOCOLATE, COFFEE, CAFFEINE
When ingested, can cause vomiting, diarrhea, panting, excessive thirst and urination, hyperactivity, abnormal heart rhythm, tremors, seizures and even death. Dark chocolate is even more dangerous than milk chocolate.
Any food products containing alcohol, or alcoholic beverages are also no-no’s.
POISONS FOR PETS
Many household products are poisonous to our pets. The following is a list of poisons that should be totally out of reach to pets and definitely never given to pets. Be sure to have these locked up in a secure cabinet. You can buy baby proof latches for cabinets.
Prescriptions and over-the-counter medications. These include: painkillers, cold medications, dietary supplements and antidepressants. A pet will easily reach for a pill container thinking it’s a toy filled with treats. Little do they know it’s poison for them. Also, be careful if you drop a pill on the floor. Pick it up before your furry friend finds it.
These are a substantial danger to pets. Some of these chemical hazards are: antifreeze, paint thinner, drain cleaners and pool/spa chemicals. These chemicals can cause depression, respiratory problems, chemical burns, stomach upset and, in some cases, even death. Be very careful of antifreeze. If you’re taking care of the car, keep your dogs and cats away from it. It is toxic to animals.
There are quite a few varieties of dangerous household plants. Some of these are azalea, rhododendron, sago palm,lilies, kalanchoe and scheffiara.
Lilies are especially toxic to cats and can cause life threatening kidney failure even in small amounts.
There are certain foods that we enjoy that can be very harmful to our pets. Some of these foods are citrus fruits, raisins, avocados, chocolate, grapes, onions, macadamia nuts, coffee & caffeine.
Fleas, fleas and more fleas. But treating your pet on your own can put your pet at risk. It’s important to talk to your veterinarian before starting any type of treatment for fleas and ticks. Misuse of products could include putting flea and tick products or treatment on the wrong pet.
HOUSEHOLD CLEANERS & CHEMICALS
Bleaches, detergents and disinfectants are toxic to pets. Lead. Pets are exposed to lead through many sources, including consumer products, paint chips, linoleum and lead dust when surfaces in older homes are scraped or sanded.